Happy weekend all. Today I want to share a classic comfort recipe with you. Potato and leek soup. This recipe is simple and fast, great for cold weekends when you don´t want to be standing in the kitchen all hours of the day.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can play around with it, you can add in some veggies and herbs. It´s a very flexible dish to cook. You will notice that this soup is darker than you would normally imagine a potato soup; the reason for this is that I used a red onion instead of a traditional white one, and I also added brown onion soup powder. If you don´t like the look of the darker soup, you can always omit the brown onion soup powder and swap out the onion.
So now let´s get started!
1 Vegetable stock cube
Three heads of Garlic
Salt pepper, chilli flakes, rosemary, parsley to taste
One spoon of butter, or margarine to make this a vegan recipe
- Peel potatoes and chop the leeks. Dice onion.
- Heat up a little bit of oil and fry your onion.
- Add your potatoes and fry them for 5 minutes
- Add your stock cube and 1l of boiling water. Put a lid on the pot and cook on a high heat for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice your leeks in half and then slice then into half-moons. Melt some butter in a frying pan, add the leeks and cook them for 10 minutes. When the potatoes have softened, add the leeks and reduce the temperature. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blitz the mixture until smooth. Serve hot with a parsley and rosemary garnish.