one pot Fish Head Soup
This fish head soup recipe is easy to make, it is simple yet flavourful. Ready in under one hour. One pot.
If you read this heading, and your first reaction was eugh, you are not alone. I never thought this dish would be something that I would like (how ignorant of me) and it has proved me wrong.
Fish head soup is so easy to make. It is also an example of a dish with very few ingredients that is well-balanced and unbelievably tasty.
I do not remember the first time I heard of Fish head soup. It may have been online, in a TV show or even a book.
I am very glad that I did though.
Learning new recipes and testing them is a great way to broaden your horizons. And also to get to know yourself a little bit better.
So many of us think we may dislike something. We make up our minds before we even give it a try, and as a result, we miss out on so much. Don´t be that person.
Like so many of my experiments, it all starts with something being on special in the grocery store. And me buying it and trying something new with it.
That is exactly what happened with this recipe, There was some delicious looking yellow tail on special, and I decided to give it a go.
This recipe does take a little while, definitely longer than 30 minutes, because the soup has to simmer and develop flavour.
I suppose you could make it in half an hour, but I doubt that it will be as tasty.
Side note, my dogs absolutely loved eating the fish head and eyes after I was done cooking with it!
Fish Head Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 whole medium sized fish
- 1 tomato
- 1 green pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 ml oil
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli oil or chilli flakes
- Prepare all your ingredients
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, tomato and green pepper
- Slice the whole fish into thick cuts
- Do not discard any part of the fish
- Heat up oil in a large skillet or frying pan
- Add the onion and fry lightly
- Next, add in the tomato and green pepper
- Stir in the garlic
- Carefully place the fish cuts in the frying pan
- Pour in the vegetable stock
- Cook on a high heat for 15 minutes
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for another 15 minutes
- Allow the soup to cool a little, strain everything and discard the whole fish pieces
- Serve immediately