Vegetarian Mushroom Quiche
This vegetarian mushroom quiche is a great one-dish recipe, vegetarian, gluten free and is ready in 45 minutes. It is perfect as a main dish for dinner, or as a side dish for any occasion.
It is still not summer. Sigh. I feel like this post-winter weather is just never ending. We are in the transition phase now, everything is dusty as we wait for the first summer rain to come and drench the earth, the wind makes everything moody, and the clouds don’t know where they want to be.
This was my mini rant for the day. A sunless day can really do a number on your moods.
Back to food, that is why we are all here. For the love of food, specifically, vegetarian mushroom quiche!
When I made quiche the first time, I was still in high school. I had hospitality as a subject, and I was always eager to try a new recipe from school, at home. The recipe came out great, and yet I was quite intimidated by it, and for years and years I never made it again.
Eventually, I learned why I never made Quiche, because of the crust. I am definitely not a baker, and the idea of using, (not even making) crust, put me off making quiche more often.
Then lo and behold, Pinterest saved my! I cannot imagine how bland and boring my food would still be if I did not discover Pinterest.
I found a lovely crust-less quiche recipe that I still make almost every week.
So many variations can be used to make quiche, my go-to recipe usually includes spinach, as I grow spinach in my garden and it doesn’t seem to stop growing. (not that I am complaining)
This recipe is a mushroom, onion, feta and spinach quiche. It is one of my favourites. Feel free to tweak this recipe and make it your own!
Brown the mushrooms before baking the quiche in the oven, it will give the dish as much deeper flavour. Read all about it here
Add in the garlic last, you don’t want it to burn and make the quiche bitter. Learn how to peel garlic quickly over here.
Let the quiche rest once you have taken it out of the oven, it will allow the flavours to absorb and the quiche to become a bit more firm.
Vegetarian Mushroom Quiche
- 250 g portebellini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 white onions
- 100 ml milk
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 1 tsp salt, pepper, paprika, chilli powder
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- Prepare all the ingredients. Chop the onion finely, dice the garlic and wash and chop your spinach.
- Cook the onions in a frying pan with some margarine.
- Once the onions have browned a little bit, add in the mushrooms.
- Season the mushrooms and onions to your taste.
- Add in the chopped garlic
- Lastly, add in your spinach and put the lid on the pan and allow the spinach to wilt.
- In your oven dish, mix the eggs and milk well.
- Pour the vegetable mix into you oven dish.
- Sprinkle some crumbed feta over the dish
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with a delicious side salad.